Maybe you have been meaning to register to become an organ donor but just haven’t gotten around to it. Maybe registering has never crossed your mind. Or maybe you are a little nervous about what organ donation actually means for you. April is National Donate Life Month and we would like to give you five important reasons why you should sign up to become an organ donor today.
1) You could save as many as 8 lives. By donating a number of organs or tissues at once, one organ donor can provide the gift of life to many people. Read some inspiring stories about how organ donation has changed lives here.
2) There is a critical organ shortage. There are over 113,702 people currently waiting for an organ donation. Every 13 minutes, a new person is added to the national transplant waiting list. As many as 18 people die every day waiting for an organ.
3) Organ donation costs you and your family nothing. An organ donor and his or her family are never billed for any expenses related to organ donation. Organ donors also never receive compensation for organ donation.
4) Organ donation is only considered once all life-saving efforts have been exhausted. Most donors are victims of severe brain damage resulting in no brain activity or no ability to breathe without a respirator. Organ donors must be declared brain dead before any organs are considered for donation.
5) It is easy to register. You can register to become an organ donor right now. Just click this link and it will take you to an online Donor Registration Form. Also, be sure to tell your spouse, family and physician about your wish to become an organ donor.
If you have more questions about organ donation, be sure to visit the Donate Life Texas website or contact your physician. For a physician referral, please call 1-855-665-TMCP or contact The Medical Center of Plano here.