Discover the habits of healthy men and how to incorporate them into your own routine.
You know them, those guys who appear fit as a fiddle and rarely seem to get rundown or sick. Wonder what their secrets are? Here are five habits of healthy guys that, if you put your mind to it, we bet you can master as well.
1. They eat like adults, not like teenagers. When you're young, a fast metabolism makes quick work of burgers, fries and pizza. As an adult, it's important to pay attention to portion control and eat a balanced diet comprised of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, lean proteins and other healthy foods.
2. They exercise, even if they don't call it that. Chances are they meet the recommended physical activity guidelines of two and a half hours of moderate intensity aerobic activity each week and doing muscle-strengthening activities at least two days a week. However, they may not even belong to a gym. They might stay physically fit by playing on the company basketball team, coaching little league, running with the dog or dancing Saturday nights away.
3. They drink smart. They curb calories and caffeine, and if they drink alcohol, it's only in moderation.
4. They pay attention to not only their physical health, but also their mental health. They manage stress, perhaps through exercise or meditation, and seek professional mental health counseling when helpful.
5. They visit their doctor. They're not afraid to ask an embarrassing question or seek medical care for a nagging ailment. They schedule well visits, preventative screenings and follow-up appointments as necessary.
Interested in learning more about how to live a healthy lifestyle or need to schedule an appointment or screening? Talk with your doctor, or if you need help finding a doctor, use our online Find a Physician service or call our Physician Referral Line at 1-855-665-TCMP (8627).